rosary high school
Rosary High School, Dockyard Road was established on 8th June, 1942. Msgr. Stanislaus Pereira co-founded the school with his uncle, Fr. Joseph Pereira. Rosary High school is a Christian Minority Institution with minority rights given under the constitution of India and is managed by the sole Trustee of Our Lady of Rosary Church, Mazagaon.
Since 1993, the school is administered by the Congregation of the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. The school is co-educational and has both Primary and Secondary sections. Whilst Catholics students are given preference, admission is also granted to students of other castes and religions. The school tries to provide excellent learning environment.
The school through its vision strives to make this institution a temple of learning , where a true community spirit is fostered. It emphasises an all-round educational approach to ensure that the students who pass through its doors become model citizens and inspiration human beings. This is done through programs and activities that promote national integration, the promotion of peace and dialogue and promote communal harmony and justice. This is a responsibility and the joy of us being educators as we hope that our students will be people of faith, integrated and conscious of their social responsibility and live and promote constitutional values.
The schools has for its Motto “Amor Lucis” which means Love Light. It is an invitation of the school to dispel the darkness of ignorance and indifference and to spread the light of knowledge and Love.
The school runs in two shifts the morning shift caters to the secondary students and the afternoon session is for students from of the primary. The pre-primary also work in two shifts and runs under the name of Fr. Joseph pre-primary school. The school has a well-equipped General Science Laboratory, Computer Room, Audio Visual Room, technologically equipped classrooms with smart boards. The schools also has included in its curriculum Yoga, Kudo, Karate and trains children for the elementary and intermediate drawing exams. The school has a well-stocked library which has over 3000 books.
The school has given exceptional results in the academic sphere and its students have excelled in extra co-curricular activities too.
st peter's school, mazagaon
St. Peter’s School was founded in 1874, by the Cowley Fathers, who came to India. The school began as a choir school for parishioners of St. Peter’s Church that had earlier been built in 1858 from money bequeathed by Mr. Shepherd, a resident of Mazagaon, on land granted by the Government. A few destitute children also came into the care of the Fathers at this time and this was the beginning of an important feature of the Fathers’ work in Bombay.
16th August, 1875 saw the beginning of St. Peter’s Girls’ High School in Byculla. In June, 1876 some eight or ten boys were admitted.
On 1st March, 1878 a small Boys’ School was set up in hired premises in Mazagaon and money was raised for a new building situated near the railway bridge near Dockyard Road Station. Half the cost of this new school building was granted by the Government and the remainder was subscribed by the parishioners of St. Peter’s Church and well-wishers. The new building was inaugurated in October, 1879 in the compound of St. Peter’s Church and parsonage.
In 1905 the site of St. Peter’s Church was claimed by the Bombay (now Mumbai) Port Trust to allow for the extension of the Port Trust Railway and the Harbour Branch Line.
A new site at the junction of Dockyard Road and Belvedere Road (the location of the present-day St. Peter’s School) was granted by the Government and the present St. Peter’s Chapel was built in 1907-1908.
It was only on 19th January, 1910 that St. Peter’s High School for Boys and Girls was opened in the ground floor of Nicholson Hall (the present-day Junior School building).
After India gained Independence, preparations were made to hand over the school to trained and qualified educationists of the Anglo-Indian community. The Cowley Fathers retired to Poona (since renamed Pune) from where they eventually withdrew from India in 1966. Mr. M. W. Duthie was the first layman Principal of St. Peter’s School.
The school continues to offer quality education, in many cases at concessional rates not only to children of the Anglo-Indian community but to children of all communities regardless of religion, caste or creed. St. Peter’s School today is well established and continues to grow and change with the times.
SCHOOL VISION : “St. Peter’s School strives for academic excellence and an all-round development of students through character building inculcating core values of ethics, patriotism, love, compassion and respect for all.”
st isabel's high school
The Ladies Charitable Association, Mazagaon Circle started the St. Isabel’s Primary School in Matharpacady Village on 9th November, 1887, with 40 students and two teachers. Later the Primary School was relocated to Tank Square.
In 1931, under the guidance of the Vicar Rev. Fr. Manuel Xavier Gomes, Rosary Church, the Ladies Charitable Association purchased a new site at 39, Mount Road (now Dr. Mascarenhas Road) and the foundation stone was blessed on 11th October 1936 by Rev. Fr. Charles Ghezzi S.J., Administrator of Archdiocese of Bombay
A registered Trust was set up with Miss Lily Baptista as Founder & Managing Trustee, Mrs. Josephine Miranda as Co-founder & Treasurer, Miss Rose Valladares as President and three more office bearers.
In 1949, the first batch of 40 students passed the Matriculation Examination with Miss Daisy Baptista as Principal and Miss Violet Baptista supervisor of the Primary Section. The construction of the present School building comprising of two wings of ground floor plus three floors took place in stages and was completed in 1955. After the demise of the Baptista sisters, Lily, Daisy, and Violet, their nephew Peter Miranda was appointed as Principal and Managing Trustee.
The Baptista sisters, Lily, Daisy and Violet and later Peter Miranda, gave their best to bring out the best in their students. They instilled in their students spiritual values, discipline and good behaviour. They were disciplinarians with kind hearts and were an inspiration to their students. The Baptista sisters belonged to the family of Barrister Joseph (Kaka) Baptista, a freedom fighter who coined the phrase "Swaraj is my birthright".
The School was co-educational till April 1968 after which it became a girls’ school. Over the decades, the student strength has grown tremendously and the school has won accolades as one of the leading Catholic schools in the neighbourhood. Presently there are 700 students in the Primary Section and 920 students in the Secondary section.
It is also a matter of great pride that St. Isabel’s has been the nursery of great religious vocations as many students became priests and nuns. It has always inculcated in its students the virtue of charity in keeping with its motto “Charity Forever”.